Secret compartments inside of ourselves
| | |

Secret compartments inside of ourselves

Aboard my boat “Lily,” we take folks on eco-tours up the Apalachicola River into the pristine 246,000-acre  estuarine reserve on average of some 125 times a year. We’ve operated for 13 years. My license allows us to take six folks so let’s say we average three folks per cruise. If you multiply that out, that’s…

Taylor takes top prizes at Pork Off
| | |

Taylor takes top prizes at Pork Off

For the 10th time in the 11-year history of the Pink Out, the county’s premier fundraiser to fight breast cancer held in October, they gathered on Labor Day for the preliminary event.The 10th annual Pork Off, held at Paddy’s Raw Bar on St. George Island, was created to raise the funds needed to cover the…

This weekend in Gulf and Franklin
| |

Here’s a look at some of the events happening in Gulf and Franklin Counties this weekend. WindMark Beach Music Festival The second annual WindMark Beach Music Festival will be held this Saturday, Sept. 9, from 2 to 7 p.m. EDT. This event will take place at different locations in the WindMark Beach Village Center. Attendees…

Raney House on the mend: Facelift begins on 1836 gem
|

Raney House on the mend: Facelift begins on 1836 gem

The Raney House, an 1836 Greek Revival home built by one of Apalachicola’s founding families, is undergoing a major effort to ensure it continues to shine for years to come. Funded by a $311,000 special category grant from the Florida Division of Historic Resources, work began this week on a multifaceted plan to replace many…

| | |

It’s Labor Day Weekend, and the Forgotten Coast has a lot going on to celebrate. Here’s a list of some of the local events happening in Gulf and Franklin Counties. Scallop and Music Festival The 26th Annual Florida Scallop, Music & Arts Festival will be held Labor Day Weekend Saturday, September 2, and Sunday, September…

Chasing Shadows: Apalachicola Exchange honors 19th century hotel
| | | |

Chasing Shadows: Apalachicola Exchange honors 19th century hotel

It will cost considerably more than 50 cents a night, and it won’t come complete with “genuine liquors of the choicest quality” or “delicacies of the market served up in the best style.” But the three newly-opened short-term rentals at the corner of Fourth Street and Avenue C in Apalachicola, known as the Apalachicola Exchange,…

Chasing Shadows: Carrabelle downtown headed to National Register
| | |

Chasing Shadows: Carrabelle downtown headed to National Register

A portion of Carrabelle’s downtown is headed for the National Register of Historic Places, the federal government’s official listing of historically significant properties throughout the county.The district received the blessing Aug. 3 of the five-person Florida National Register Review Board, a body within the state’s Division of Historical Resources responsible for deciding whether to submit…

‘Dog Days’ do not apply to man’s best friend
| |

‘Dog Days’ do not apply to man’s best friend

They say we are in Dog Days. I heard that all my life and wondered what they meant. When I didn’t know something, my Mama would always say, “Look it up in the dictionary” (or the encyclopedia). If I still have them, they are both somewhere in the attic. So, I opted for Wikipedia. My…

Florida extends record gulf recreational snapper season
| | | | |

Florida extends record gulf recreational snapper season

On Aug. 11, Governor Ron DeSantis’s office announced Florida is extending the 2023 recreational gulf red snapper season by 17 days, adding every Friday through Saturday in September, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving Day to the previously announced season. The 2023 season now totals 87 days, the longest combined season since the state assumed management of…

| | |

Thau exhibit continues in Carrabelle The paintings of Cyndi Thau continue to be on display at the Gallery at Rio Carrabelle at 102 St James Ave. in Carrabelle through the end of August. Her works have included murals, mosaics, bead work and painting, especially en plein air oil painting with a glazing technique. Rio Carrabelle…