| | |

Get ready for May 4 ‘Gospel Explosion’

The sixth annual Gospel Explosion, drawing on voices from both Franklin and Gulf counties, will be 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, May 4 at St. Paul AME Church, 81 Avenue I in Apalachicola. Under the direction of St, Paul Pastor Garry Reed and Choir Director Harrison Jones, and coordinated by John Fitzhugh, the program will…

Restoring the one who has hit rock bottom
|

Restoring the one who has hit rock bottom

Everybody knew. The woman had been married five times. To add to her scandalous reputation, the man she was now living with wasn’t her husband. Her neighbors wanted nothing to do with her – except as a source of delicious gossip. Shame reigned in the woman’s heart. Judgment reigned in her neighbors’. Then … Jesus entered…

Kids help choral society wrap up season
| |

Kids help choral society wrap up season

The Bay Area Choral Society closed out their 2023-24 season with a giant crescendo that reverberated in the ears and smiles of school. Ed Hogan, a Carrollton, Georgia composer who wrote a commissioned piece for the society about the Forgotten Coast called The Maker’s Song, and Dr. Ian Heming, the society’s pianist, joined Dana Langford,…

Art in Bloom opens Friday at The Joe
| | |

Art in Bloom opens Friday at The Joe

Come celebrate the season of spring with the grand opening of “Art in Bloom” Friday, April 19 from 6 to 8 p.m. EST at The Joe Center for the Arts, 201 Reid Ave, Port St Joe. This exhibition consists of 67 works – paintings, drawings, photography, collage and printmaking – incorporating a floral theme. Local…

When we revel in our ‘enemy’s’ downfall
|

When we revel in our ‘enemy’s’ downfall

“I’m here today to apologize for the personal mistakes I’ve made and the embarrassment I’ve caused my family and community… I’m announcing my resignation from Congress…” We’ve heard far too many speeches from politicians who found themselves in front of a microphone, confessing their transgressions because of their immoral behavior. It’s hard not to be cynical…

Rats, Ratso, and Ratatouille
| |

Rats, Ratso, and Ratatouille

“Rats!” Webster defines the interjection, a tad politer than “damn” or some other four-letter words you might let slip, as expressing “disappointment, frustration, or disgust.” The usage, which dates back to the 1800s, may be making a comeback with the widespread resurgence of rat populations, as reported by the NY Times, PBS, and other media….

Fresh Finds Market debuts at Chillas
| |

Fresh Finds Market debuts at Chillas

Hi Y’all, I hope you are reading this electronically at www.franklincounty.news, before Tuesday, April 16 at 11 a.m. when there will be a hearing on the zoning change for property at 2390 Oak Street in Lanark Village. The public hearing will be at the county commission meeting room in the courthouse annex at 34 Forbes…

| |

Apalachicola club hosts April 21 sailing day

The Apalachicola Bay Sailing Club invites all sailors in Franklin or Gulf counties to bring their sailboats to Apalachicola on Sunday, April 21, for a day of sailing on the bay. “We are looking to assemble as many sailboats as possible and to sail around a short course in mid bay where the water is…

‘Lend Me A Tenor’ was missing a lot
| | |

‘Lend Me A Tenor’ was missing a lot

There is such a long list of what the Panhandle Players did not do last weekend in performing the final show of their 2023-24 season, that I feel compelled to share these pronounced omissions so obvious throughout the staging of the Tony Award-winning farce “Lend Me A Tenor” at the Chapman Theatre. For example, the…

Firefighters train at State Fire College
| |

Firefighters train at State Fire College

Hi Y’all, Happy Spring! The Spring Breakers came in and the Snowbirds flew out. The Lanark Village Association, Inc. had their monthly membership meeting on Monday, April 1. The attendance was low, not allowing for a quorum vote. The membership needs to be aware of the changes that are taking place in the organization. Please…