Decorate your golf cart Saturday for Fourth of July 
| | |

Decorate your golf cart Saturday for Fourth of July 

Hi Y’all, I have been out of town and I missed writing my articles.  Lanark has some great things coming up. On Tuesday, June 25 at the American Legion on Oak Street, Tasty Tuesday welcomes John Jeremiah to be the entertainment from 6 to 8 p.m. There will be something tasty (tacos) available from 5…

Franklin County about to land Bassmaster tourney
| | | | |

Franklin County about to land Bassmaster tourney

TDC OKs deal for October Redfish Cup Franklin County looks to be quite a busy place for two weeks beginning in late October as tourist development officials have struck a deal to bring a big money, nationally televised fishing tournament here. If details can be agreed upon, the 2024 Yamaha Bassmaster Redfish Cup Championship will…

History buffs breathe life into cemetery
| |

History buffs breathe life into cemetery

An ongoing effort by the Apalachicola Area Historical Society to repair and maintain the city’s aging Chestnut Cemetery is about to kick into overdrive, thanks to an infusion of much-needed dollars. The historic cemetery, considered by experts to rank among the state’s oldest and most distinguished burial grounds, is set to benefit from $166,000 in…

Snails running rampant across Panhandle
|

Snails running rampant across Panhandle

Well, maybe not running – more like sluggishly, slimily slogging. But they are getting to be rampant, at least according to the Apalachicola Regional Stewardship Alliance, as reported in the March 7 Times by editor David Adlerstein. Critters that are becoming problematic along the Panhandle, in what’s called the Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area, include…

Apalachicola native serves aboard warship in Mayport
| | | |

Apalachicola native serves aboard warship in Mayport

Seaman Jamal Robinson, a native of Apalachicola, serves aboard USS Lassen, a U.S. Navy warship operating out of Mayport. Robinson, who graduated from Franklin County High School in 2022, believes the skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Apalachicola. “My hometown taught me not to let things…

God loves you, unconditionally and without fail
|

God loves you, unconditionally and without fail

Have you ever been afraid someone you love would stop loving you? Maybe you’re struggling with insecurity. Perhaps you haven’t been very loving yourself. Or maybe it’s been a long time since you’ve been your “best self,” and you’re afraid someone you care about is going to give up on you. This week’s verse speaks…

Book bonanzas help stymie ‘summer slide’
| |

Book bonanzas help stymie ‘summer slide’

Last year the newly renamed Bring Me A Book Forgotten Coast held its first Book Bonanza with a grant from Duke Energy Foundation. The non-profit gave away books to elementary students in Franklin County at the end of the school year to ensure kids had reading material of their own choosing to engage them over…