The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that two elementary school age girls, both students at Franklin County Elementary School, perished in an early Friday morning fire in Eastpoint.
Franklin County fifth-grader Alexis Sloan, and fourth-grader Lillian Sloan died in the blaze that struck the home of their parents, Crystal and Thomas Cooper, of 607 Wilderness Road.
The 911 call came in at 1:05 a.m. and was from a caller who said their neighbor’s house was engulfed in flames.
Area fire departments rushed to the scene as did law enforcement from the county and both cities.
Eastpoint Fire Chief George Pruett said that when firedfighters arrived at the property , consisting of a mobile home and attached structure, they were fully engulfed.
One possible cause of the fire, although it has not been verified by investigators, was a heat lamp being used to keep warm a new litter of puppies, Smith said.
Family members said cries from the puppies awoke one of the boys, who woke his siblings and his parents.